Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Squam



Last Fall I tried to get in touch with my more creative side, or at least find out if I even had one.  Sitting in an office all day typing away at my computer had seriously made me start to wonder.  I read about a weekend art workshop in New Hampshire on Squam Lake.  Not really me, but I checked out the website anyway.   Four days of yoga, painting, photography, journaling, knitting, and singing, just to name a few of the activities.  And all set by a beautiful lake in turn-of-the-century cabins.  Sounded doable . . . in theory.  Problem was that I  wasn't good at any of those things.   And I don't really go in for that group retreat kind of thing where strangers are crying and hugging and pouring out all the things in their souls that you never really wanted to hear.  At least that's how I pictured it.  I didn't have any support from friends and family who wanted to join me . . . even when I begged.   "Not into that artsy, hippie stuff," said my mom.   "Singing?  I've heard you sing." said a friend.   

Still, something inside kept nagging at me to just try.  So I did.  All by myself.  And it was one of the best experiences I have ever had, which is why I'm sharing it with all of you.  I confirmed that I'm not very good at yoga, painting, photography, journaling, knitting or singing.  But I also found out that I really loved the yoga and the photography, despite not being proficient, and decided to pursue those further (which is a huge step for me, since I don't usually like things I'm not automatically good at).  The setting was beautiful and I met some really beautiful people.  Great teachers, healers and listeners.  Hugging and crying were kept at acceptable limits.  It was a wonderfully supportive atmosphere and I felt I could try my hand at anything.  

I'm looking forward to going back next year.  They have several sessions throughout the year; next year one session will be held in Italy -- yes Italy!!  So let's be brave and try something new Kichaas!  

XOXO




 

images here and here and by me

No comments:

Post a Comment