Monday, January 30, 2012

My *&#@! Yoga Class


For two years now I have faithfully attended yoga classes on the weekends.  Don't get me wrong, I love yoga.   But I have a confession to make:  I've never been able to meditate.   Not even for a minute.  I always have a million thoughts going through my head.  Try as I might, I can never clear them out to make way for those "zen-like" feelings or the "white light" to come flooding in.  Am I the only one with this problem?

Worse yet, I tend to push myself.   So, I am often frustrated and sweating as I fall on my head while trying to balance in crane pose, or when my legs are flailing around as I try unsuccessfully (over and over again) to kick up into a headstand.  Today was the worst yet.  As I slid out of an attempt at side crane and landed on my forehead, I blurted out a big f-bomb on the way down.

Well, I can't help but think that one should not swear while practicing yoga.  It has to be counter-productive, not to mention embarrassing as everyone else in the class slowly slides their mat away from you.  So a friend has recommended a book to me called The Power of Now.  He said it could help my yoga potty-mouth.  Has anyone out there read it?  I'm not much for those New Age books and neither is my friend.  So I'm taking his recommendation to heart.  He said the point of the book is learning to step back and observe your thinking.  When you do that, a lot of the noise in your head stops.  Okay . . . umm, well I guess I can try it.

I hope all you Kichaas had lovely, peaceful weekends!  Now it's *&#@! Monday.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment